Xerostomia and salivary flow rates in methamphetamine abusers in Jakarta, Indonesia

Cut Mytha Fitriana, Gus Permana Subita, Masita Mandasari

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

2 Citations (Scopus)

Abstract

Methamphetamine (MA) abuse appears to have an impact on oral health. No studies have reported on the salivary flow among MA abusers in Indonesia. The aim of this study was to examine associations between subjective xerostomia perception and the actual hyposalivation among MA abusers compared to nonusers. This cross-sectional study included 43 MA abusers and 43 controls matched for sex and age. Interviews were conducted to acquire data on the subjective self-assessment dry mouth (xerostomia) and drug use. Bivariate analysis was used to examine the associations between xerostomia and objective measurements of the salivary flow rate (SFR) among the 86 subjects. The SFR was determined using the spitting method. There was no significant reduction in the stimulated SFR among MA abusers compared with nonusers (1.42 vs. 1.15 mL/min). The stimulated SFR among MA abusers and nonusers were in the normal range (88%) and the remaining were in the low category (12%). Moreover, xerostomia was reported in 84% of users and 7% of nonusers (p < 0.05). No significant association was found between xerostomia and hyposalivation (p = 1.000). Furthermore, only 12% MA abusers had a low SFR but 84% reported xerostomia compared to 3% of nonusers. Xerostomia is a subjective perception, the dentists need to pay more attention to comprehensive oral health education and treatment for MA abusers.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)645-649
Number of pages5
JournalJournal of International Dental and Medical Research
Volume12
Issue number2
Publication statusPublished - 1 Jan 2019

Keywords

  • Drug users
  • Methamphetamine
  • Saliva
  • Xerostomia

Fingerprint

Dive into the research topics of 'Xerostomia and salivary flow rates in methamphetamine abusers in Jakarta, Indonesia'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this