Effect of Dimethyl sulfoxide (DMSO) and egg yolk on sperm motility, fertility and hatching rates of depik Rasbora tawarensis (Pisces: Cyprinidae) eggs after short-term cryopreservation

Zainal A. Muchlisin, Putri I. Sarah, Dhea F. Aldila, Kartini Eriani, Iwan Hasri, Agung S. Batubara, Firman M. Nur, Mustaqim Mustaqim, Cut Ruhul Muthmainnah, Abinawanto Abinawanto, Martin Wilkes

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

Abstract

Cryoprotectant is the crucial factor in the cryopreservation process. In general, there are two types of cryoprotectant, permeating and non-permeating cryoprotectants. Dimethyl sulfoxide (DMSO) and egg yolk are common permeating and non-permeating cryoprotectants respectively. Hence, the objective of the present study was to determine the best proportion of DMSO and egg yolk for the cryopreservation of Rasbora tawarensis sperm. A completely randomized experimental design was used in this study which involves two types of cryoprotectant and their combination at different concentrations, namely 5% DMSO, 5% egg yolk, 5% DMSO + 5% egg yolk and 2.5% DMSO + 2.5% egg yolk. Every treatment was conducted in three replicates. Combination of 5% DMSO + 5% egg yolk gave the best results cryoprotectant treatment had significant effects on sperm motility, fertilization and hatching rate of the R. tawarensis eggs (p <.05). It is concluded that the best proportion of cryoprotectants for sperm cryopreservation in this species is 5% DMSO + 5% egg yolk.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)1700-1705
Number of pages6
JournalAquaculture Research
Volume51
Issue number4
DOIs
Publication statusPublished - 1 Apr 2020

Keywords

  • artificial breeding
  • endemic fish
  • extracellular CPA
  • permeating cryoprotectant

Fingerprint

Dive into the research topics of 'Effect of Dimethyl sulfoxide (DMSO) and egg yolk on sperm motility, fertility and hatching rates of depik Rasbora tawarensis (Pisces: Cyprinidae) eggs after short-term cryopreservation'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this