Demographic Variation of Ameloblastoma: A Retrospective Analysis of 188 Cases in the Indonesian Population

Wenny Yulvie, Arbi Wijaya, Diah Rini Handjari, Nur Rahadiani, Lilies Dwi Sulistyani, Iwan Tofani

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review


Ameloblastoma is a benign and locally invasive odontogenic tumor originating from remnants of the tooth-forming components. The clinicopathologic features of ameloblastoma in each population in a country can differ with respect to sex, age, and clinical and radiographic features. To retrospectively evaluate the demographic profiles of patients diagnosed with ameloblastoma in the Indonesian population. A retrospective study of 188 patients with histologically confirmed ameloblastoma was carried out in Dr. Cipto Mangunkusumo National Central Public Hospital, Jakarta, from January 2012 to April 2022. Among the 188 patients, 90 (48.7%) were male and 98 (51.3%) were female, with most of them being in the third to fifth decades of their lives. The majority of tumors measured 4–10 cm (116, 60.7%) and had a dominant growth period of more than 24 months (71, 37.2%). The majority of tumors were located in the mandible (95.3%) and the rest in the maxilla (4.7%), with the ramus and angle of the mandible being the most affected subsite (39.8%). The most common tumor pattern in our study was the mixed type (57.6%).

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)209-213
Number of pages5
JournalJournal of International Dental and Medical Research
Issue number1
Publication statusPublished - 2023


  • Ameloblastoma
  • demographic variation
  • Indonesian population


Dive into the research topics of 'Demographic Variation of Ameloblastoma: A Retrospective Analysis of 188 Cases in the Indonesian Population'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this