For the last decades, problems have occur due to the increased plastic used as packaging for various products. Plastic may be considered profitable for the company for their products because it is easy to use and has a low price which economically benefical for the company. However, problems may arise due to its nature of being hard to break, the material making it difficult to decompose, causing piles of plastic waste. Therefore, this research aims to determine the level of environmental awareness in individuals. We aim from the human-perspective since human are the subject of plastic users in daily life, as we access the level of knowledge, attitude, and behavior towards plastic use. We used a quantitative research method and distributed questionnaires to 268 respondents. Distributed frequency analysis was done using SPSS, and we categorized the total scores of each variable into two groups. Then, we composite the three variables to determine the level of environmental awareness. Results show that based on respondent’s knowledge, attitude, and behavior towards plastic use, the majority of respondents, about 55.6% have good environmental awareness, whereas the other 44.4% have poor environmental awareness. This result indicates that the respondents already have formed their awareness, which may be beneficial in forming their pro-environmental behavior in future daily life, therefor aiming for future sustainable behavior of plastic use, especially plastic for packaging.
|Number of pages
|International Journal of Sustainable Development and Planning
|Published - Feb 2023
- environmental awareness
- plastic packaging